Sometimes we just need something to help bridge the gap between meals, but often these snacks can be a far cry from healthy. Whether you are on the go or at home, here are five nourishing snacks that can keep you fueled and flourishing!
1. Sweet Potato Sandwich Snack- simply take a raw organic sweet potato and spread your favorite nut or seed butter on top. Jazz it up with a dash of cinnamon, sea salt or cocoa powder! (featured on p.73 of Cook 2 Flourish Cookbook)
2. Organic Seaweed Chips- most Americans don't get much seaweed on a daily basis, so why not trade in potato chips for this iodine-rich snack? If you like fish and/or sushi, you will likely enjoy seaweed chips. Most health food stores carry them as well as Costco and Amazon.
3. Flackers®- what a crunchy and satisfying cracker made with soaked flaxseeds and flavored with herbs! You can munch and enjoy the added benefits of fiber and protein! These are most easily found in health food stores in the cracker or gluten free section.
4. Raw parsnips, raw broccoli, snap peas, red bell pepper slices- veggies are fantastic nutritionally, but also their crunch and the time it takes to chew them can offset desires for less healthy foods! Have a bag or mason jar of veggies and dip with guacamole or hummus! If you have never had a raw parsnip before, they are worth trying for their slightly sweet taste! They just might take the edge off your sweet tooth!
5. Take a shake! One of my go-to snacks is either Nature's Sunshine Nature's Harvest superfood protein powder or the Love and Peas Sugar Free protein powder. You can mix either one with unsweetened almond milk, water or plain organic Greek yogurt. Add a dash of cinnamon or ginger for a fun zing!
Happy snacking and nourish 2 flourish!