Have you ever craved kale?
I remember the first day I saw kale in a grocery store when my family had just embarked on our natural health journey.
Its extensive list of nutrients astonished me, so I decided to tried it. No, it wasn't love at first bite, but I kept experimenting with it.
Fast forward to today... many green smoothies later, and this recipe is one that I actually crave!
The healthy fats and zing of the lemon wilt the kale and soften its bitter notes.
This is one of my favorite salads, and hopefully you will come to love it too!
Kan’t Get Enough Kale Salad
2 cups Brussels sprouts, shredded
4 cups baby kale OR curly kale, thinly sliced
1 fresh garlic clove, minced OR 4 roasted cloves, mashed
2 Tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
Tablespoons ripe avocado, mashed2
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or tahini
2 Tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
½ teaspoon Nature’s Sunshine® sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon liquid stevia
1 teaspoon Bragg® liquid aminos
¼ cup walnuts OR almonds, chopped
1) Ten Brussels sprouts weigh approximately 5 ounces and measure whole as 1 ½ cups. When processed or shredded, they yield about 2 cups. Wash and trim the Brussels sprouts. Cut them in half and then place them in a food processor and process 5-8 seconds.
2) Combine the Brussels sprouts and Kale in a large salad bowl.
3) In a measuring cup, combine the rest of the ingredients for the dressing. Mix well with a fork.
4) Pour the dressing on the salad and toss well. If the kale is bigger/tougher, you can "massage" this dressing into the kale and Brussels sprouts to "wilt" it.
5) Refrigerate until ready to serve. Top with the nuts. Toss again before serving. Refrigerate any leftovers.
You can find this recipe on p.110 in my Cook 2 Flourish Cookbook!