One the joys of creating and cooking healthy foods is seeing people's horizon of healthy food brighten and expand.
This week I was privileged to demonstrate how to prepare spaghetti squash with 7th-9th grade students who had never tried this "pasta makeover." The students enjoyed scooping out the squash, learning how to sauté veggies, and of course- taste testing!
Even the teachers who popped in with curiosity enjoyed this vegetable upgrade to traditional pasta. The 9th graders even obliged to adding in sautéed spinach to the dish!
At the conclusion of class, exclamations of "I want this for dinner tonight" and "that was so good!" filled my heart with joy.
I hope you enjoy this new recipe as much as my students did!
Roasted Garlic & Broccoli Spaghetti Squash
1 medium whole organic spaghetti squash, 4 cups cooked
1 bulb of garlic
1-2 Tablespoons organic virgin coconut oil
4 cups organic broccoli florets, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
4 cups thinly sliced organic kale, Swiss Chard or spinach
Real® Sea Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
1. Buy and wash 1 whole organic spaghetti squash, then pierce it with a knife and bake at 350 degrees for 40-60 minutes or until tender.
2. During the last 20 minutes, roast 1 bulb of garlic in a glass baking dish. You will know when the squash is tender when a knife inserted in it can go through smoothly.
3. Remove the squash from the oven and cut in half. Remove the seeds.
4. While the spaghetti squash is cooling, sauté the 4 cups of broccoli with 1-2 Tablespoons organic virgin coconut oil.
5. When the broccoli begins to soften (after 5-7 minutes), add 4 cups of organic greens and continue to sauté.
6. With a garlic press, add 4-7 cloves of pressed garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
7. Turn the heat to low. With a fork, scrape out the spaghetti squash flesh and add it to the sauté pan. Season with Real® sea salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and ENJOY! :)