Cook 2 Flourish Birthday Cake
Thank you, everyone, for all of your support of our Cook 2 Flourish Cookbook! Today we are celebrating its 2nd birthday, and I wanted to share with you one of our favorite cakes so you can join in the celebration with us!
Chocolate Birthday Cake
2 ounces 70% or higher dark chocolate, divided
1 Tablespoon extra-virgin coconut oil
1 teaspoon organic pure vanilla extract
¼ cup canned pumpkin puree
¼ cup raw honey OR coconut sugar
½-¾ teaspoon stevia (liquid or powder)
1 organic egg, beaten
¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
¼ cup organic Greek yogurt or Cashewgurt, plain whole milk
¾ cup garbanzo bean flour, sifted
2 Tablespoons coconut flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut, optional
1) In a 2 quart saucepan, melt 1 ounce of the baking chocolate with the coconut oil.
2) Add to the saucepan, vanilla, pumpkin puree, your choice of honey or coconut sugar and stevia.
3) Stir in the egg, milk, & yogurt and mix well.
4) Sift the garbanzo bean flour, coconut flour and soda into a measuring cup and set aside.
5) Chop the remaining 1 ounce of chocolate into chunks.
6) Add the flour mixture to the saucepan and stir just until combined.
7) Fold in the chocolate chunks.
8) Pour into a 9x9x2 inch glass pan coated with non-stick grapeseed oil spray and sprinkle coconut on top (if desired). Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
For icing, you can melt additional dark chocolate and spread on top of the cake, but the cake is great even without the icing! Serve with fresh or frozen berries for an antioxidant rich garnish! Enjoy!!